The Cincinnati Union Terminal opened in March 1933 and integrated rail travel in the city, which previously operated from five separate passenger terminals. Built when rail travel was already in decline, Union Terminal stopped operating as a passenger railroad station in 1972. Only during WWII was
One of the last grand-scale terminals in the Art Deco style, it is also a masterpiece of planning by Paul Cret, architect, who worked with the firm of Fellheimer and Wagner. At the peak of rail traffic, it accomodated 17,000 people and 216 trains daily.